Report monthly changes
Let's align the charts before we proceed further.
The figures above represent the total count since Ethereum’s inception. It does not state the current trend.
- Is there any change in smart contracts deployment?
- What is the impact of the recent market conditions on user activity?
To see the trend, we can group the data by month.
Recall the syntax for
GROUP BY and
DATE_TRUNC syntax from the previous sql section.
We will use
block_time to get the timestamp of the transactions and group them by month to understand the monthly trend.
/* Query to retrieve month-wise transaction volume */ SELECT DATE_TRUNC('month', block_time) AS month, COUNT(*) AS transactions_count FROM ethereum.transactions WHERE //Ignore current month block_time < date_trunc('month', NOW()) GROUP BY month;
👨🏽💻 Copy the above query and run it in a new query window. Let's make a bar chart to represent monthly volume and add it to the existing dashboard.
Bar Chart Visualization
👨🏽💻 Let's repeat the process for creating monthly charts for Smart Contracts and Active Wallets.
👉🏽 Please remember to add the charts to the current dashboard.
We hope your dashboard now looks like this or even better than this.
Let's take a moment to examine the dashboard and make a list of any observations or questions we have.
- Why is there such a large difference in the number of smart contracts (51M+) and dapps (2000+)?
- Why has the deployment of smart contracts deteriorated sharply since its peak in 2021?
- Which smart contract receives the most transactions?
- From June 22 to July 22, there is a significant increase in active users. Is it due to the upcoming merge?
We can add our questions and observations using text widgets in Dune dashboard.
Feel free to explore the dashboard and record your observations.
💾 Lets save your progress
Copy the Dune dashboard URL and update it here.